Ingredients for a Trifle Recipe
For this Red, White, and Blue version of a trifle recipe, here’s what you’ll need:
- angel food cake
- cream cheese
- heavy whipping cream
- vanilla extract
How to Make a Trifle Recipe
Can I make a custard trifle a day ahead?
While it will vary from one custard trifle recipe to another, usually, they are best when made the day before. This gives the flavors a chance to come together. However, if you do not have time to make it the day ahead, it will still taste amazing. That is why it also works well as a last-minute dessert!
What do you put in a trifle cake bowl?
A trifle bowl is a glass bowl that sometimes has a pedestal and lets everyone see how delicious the dessert looks with its individual layers. Normally, you will put the layers of cake that absorb flavors well (such as an angel food cake), custard or pudding, and then various fruits in your trifle bowl. The dessert can then be topped with whipped cream or more of the custard mixture and decorative fruit, creating a delicious dessert with different flavors and textures.
How long does trifle recipe with custard take to set?
For some recipes, the custard will become soft-set in about 30 minutes. If you want the custard to be firmer, you may want to let the custard set for several hours or overnight. I’m using a cream cheese based custard, so mine is pretty much ready to go out of the mixer!
How many layers does a traditional trifle recipe have?
Oftentimes, a traditional trifle is made up of 4 layers. A layer of cake, a layer of fruit, a layer of custard, and then it is all topped with whipped cream. You can soak your cake layers as I mentioned above, but the 4 layers in my recipe are already packed full of flavor.
How Long Does a Trifle Last
When you make this recipe, you will need to store it in the refrigerator. Make sure that it’s covered well using the lid that came with the trifle bowl or plastic wrap. It will usually last about 3 days before it starts to go bad. Even though the dessert will still be good after 3 days, the custard will start to get watery and the cake will get mushy. After 3 days it will likely start to not taste very good or look unappetizing.
More Incredible Dessert Recipes
If you are longing for a special dessert, but you still want to stay within the parameters of your healthier diet plans, below are some incredible choices that are packed with flavor. Dessert isn’t an evil word in your vocabulary. Just use the right ingredients and enjoy in moderation!
- Apple Nachos with Peanut Butter
- Healthier Cosmic Brownie Recipe
- Easy Mini Cheesecakes Recipe
- Homemade Red Velvet Donuts Recipe
How to Make a Berry Trifle
- 13 ounce prepared angel food cake
- 1 pound strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 pound blueberries
- 2 8 ounce packs of cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cube the prepared angel food cake into 1-inch cubes. Please Note: You may need 2 angel food cakes depending on the size of your trifle dish!
- Hull and slice your strawberries.
- Beat together the cream cheese and sugar with the whisk attachment on a stand-up mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth, scraping the bowl a few times.
- With the mixer on, pour in the heavy cream and turn mixer to medium/high and continue beating until cream is whipped and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Assemble in a trifle dish: Place 1/3 of the angel food cake cubes in the bottom of the dish.
- Then, top with 1/3 of the blueberries and sliced strawberries.
- Repeat layering with the remaining angel food cake cubes and pudding, and fruit, holding some fruit back for the very top.
- Finally, top with any decorative fruit left over for display.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.