This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
My Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe is by far one of the easiest meals on our menu and it’s a great healthy weeknight meal that everyone enjoys. Chicken is a great lean healthy protein, and the homemade orange sauce adds tons of flavor without all the extra calories. Instead of frying, this is a pan-seared chicken dish that still has great texture and flavor. I like to serve this dish with brown rice and fresh steamed veggies.
Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe
Chinese takeout is always going to be a favorite treat. This orange chicken recipe is truly one of the easiest options if you are looking for a homemade takeout option. Since it has that sweet and spicy kick you expect, it will satisfy your cravings while still being a good choice for everyone at the dinner table.
Is Orange Chicken Healthy for You?
Not all orange chicken is created equally. For this particular recipe, it is an excellent healthy choice that easily fits into most diet plans. However, the traditional orange chicken you would find in most restaurants would not be considered a healthy option.
If you are looking for a healthy take out meal, it is best to make one at home. For those instances when you can’t make your own meal, I highly recommend choosing the steamed versions of takeout Chinese meals and asking for all sauces to be served on the side. This will help control the amount of added oils and sugars you have in your meal.
Is Orange Chicken High in Carbs?
Yes. Traditional orange chicken recipes are battered and fried and then coated in a sweet orange sauce. While this recipe is not fried like others, it still does contain orange juice, cornstarch, sweet chili sauce, and a bit of brown sugar and these ingredients increase sugar and carbohydrate counts.
A serving comes in at 25 grams of carbohydrates depending upon ingredients used and as a result does not fall in the low carb or keto categories. If you need a low carb meal, I recommend my keto chicken cordon bleu casserole.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
If you want to expand your menu with more healthy alternatives to your favorite meals, make sure you bookmark, print, or pin to Pinterest the recipes below. These are some of our family favorites!
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs
- Easy One Pot Thai Chicken and Rice
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Healthy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Orange Chicken Sauce Ingredients
- Fresh orange juice
- Orange zest
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Sweet chili sauce
- Brown sugar
Optional: Brown rice for serving
How to Make Healthy Orange Chicken Recipe
To make this recipe, start by mixing together the sauce ingredients and setting them aside. Now, you will add the chicken, cornstarch, salt, and black pepper to a large bag or bowl and shake to coat well on all sides.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just long enough to cook the outside of the chicken and start to get some color. Next, turn down the heat, pour the sauce mixture in and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally or until the chicken is cooked through and serve over rice or noodles.
MyWW Plan Points
NOTE: The points listed below reflect ONLY 1/5th of the chicken and sauce mixture.
Blue: 3 SP
Green: 6 SP
Purple: 3 SP
Skillet Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup fresh orange juice or 100% orange juice
- zest of 1 orange about 2 teaspoons
- 2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 8.5-ounce pouch 90-second ready rice brown rice
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add the chicken, cornstarch, salt and black pepper to a gallon-sized resealable bag and shake to evenly coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil and chicken, cooking for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, just to partially cook the outside of the chicken.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked. Stir frequently to coat the chicken.