Looking for a chicken lasagna recipe? This Southwest style lasagna is a delicious and easy dinner that anyone who love Mexican Food will love. With a slight kick, this cheesy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna Casserole is simply perfection.
Delicious, Creamy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna Casserole
My Green Chilie Chicken Lasagna is a Southwest take on a classic dish. The green chilies give this dish a little kick, and the creamy yogurt-based salsa verde and ricotta cool it off. Top it off with Monterey Jack cheese and you’ll have one kickin southwestern dinner!
How to Shred Chicken Easily
I know a lot of people who hate to shred chicken because they think it is hard to do and tedious. I can not tell you how many times people tell me they burn their fingers trying to shred chicken. The easiest way to shred chicken is to out it in the mixer. The mixer will shred the chick or any meat in no time.
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken for this Mexican Lasagna
If you find that you have leftover chicken or want to save some time, you can use rotisserie chicken. While this will change the nutritional value of the meal because of cooking with the skin and the dark meat that is on the rotisserie chicken.
Ingredients for Mexican Chicken Lasagna Casserole
- lasagna noodles
- shredded chicken
- nonfat Greek yogurt
- Salsa Verde
- green chiles
- salt and pepper
- part-skim ricotta cheese
- reduced fat Mexican Cheese
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Lasagna Casserole
More Leftover Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
- The Best Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- The Best Creamy Chicken Primavera
- The Best Chicken and Rice
Green Chilie Chicken Lasagna casserol
- 9 whole grain lasagna noodles dry
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken about 1 pound raw
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 10-ounce can salsa verde
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese
- chopped tomatoes
- light sour cream or plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- *Optional ingredients are not included in nutrition calculations.
- If starting with raw chicken: Place the chicken in a pot large enough to hold it all, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the chicken by about 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reads 165º F.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and reserve on a plate. When it is cool enough to touch, shred it and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions for al dente, and make the chicken mixture while the lasagna is cooking.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the shredded chicken, the yogurt, salsa verde, both cans of green chiles, the cilantro, cumin, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Spread about ¼ cup of the chicken mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish, just enough so the noodles do not stick to the bottom of the dish.
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles, ⅓ of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of ricotta, and ¼ cup shredded cheese, and repeat.
- After the second layer is complete, layer the last 3 lasagna noodles, and the last ⅓ of the chicken mixture (no more ricotta cheese). Top with ½ cup of shredded cheese, and bake for 30 minutes, or until warmed through and the sides are bubbling.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, and additional cilantro as desired.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.