Looking for a delicious Mexican Dinner Idea? This is not only healthy, but it is also easy to make. Change up the traditional Mexican Dinner and try this Easy Cheesy Mexican Burrito Skillet.
This is all the goodness of a burrito but in the form of a one-pan meal! Save the steps (and calories) of baking and rolling the burrito, and instead eat it in a deconstructed version. This low-calorie dinner recipe is easy for everyone to dig into—plus, cleanup will be a breeze!
What is the best skillet to use for a Mexican skillet?
When making any kind of skillet meal, while you can use any type of skillet, the best skillet to use is a cast-iron skillet. Whatever skillet you use, you want one that conducts the heat evenly.
Can I make this a vegetarian burrito skillet?
You can easily make this a vegetarian burrito skillet by changing a few things. To keep this protein-packed, consider adding extra beans or use veggie crumbles instead of ground turkey. Add sauteed vegetables like peppers and carrots.
More Variations to this Burrito Skillet
- If you’d rather not use ground turkey, feel free to substitute ground chicken, beef, or pork.
- You could even bump up the spice factor in this dish by adding sriracha or hot sauce to the pan! Get your taste buds ready!
Ingredients for Mexican Dinner Burrito Skillet
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Ground turkey
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Reduced sodium kidney beans
- Chunky salsa
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Reduce fat Mexican Cheese
- yogurt or sour cream
- green onion
How to Make Mexican Dinner Skillet Meal
More Mexican dinner ideas
- Chipotle Lime Mexican Corn on the Cob Recipe
- Mexican Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Skinny Chicken Enchilada Bake
- How to Make a Mango Salsa Recipe
Easy Cheesy Mexican Dinner Burrito Skillet
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup water
- 3 6-inch whole wheat tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- ¾ cup reduced-fat 4 cheese Mexican shredded cheese
- diced avocado
- diced tomato
- yogurt/sour cream
- green onions
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil and onion, cooking the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and paprika, stirring it all together with the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the beans, salsa, and water, stirring everything together and cooking at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tortilla strips, making sure to push them around in the pan so they are coated and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the cheese over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Top with optional avocado, tomatoes, yogurt or sour cream, and green onions as desired.
- If you'd rather not use ground turkey, feel free to substitute ground chicken, beef, or pork.
- You could even bump up the spice factor in this dish by adding sriracha or hot sauce to the pan. Get your taste buds ready!