Do you love Mexican Chicken? This Skinny Chicken Enchilada Bake is a low carb Mexican recipe that is one of my favorite baked chicken recipes. Easy to make and simply delicious, this is a must try recipe.
Easy and Healthy Chicken Enchilada Bake Recipe
Everything about my Skinny Chicken Enchilada Bake screams comfort food! At under 300 calories per serving, you’re going to feel very comfortable serving this to your family! Chicken, cream cheese, and two kinds of shredded cheese blend into creamy, melty, yummy goodness, while green chilies, enchilada sauce, and layered tortillas add just the right Mexican kick! Within an hour you have a fab family dinner! Enjoy!
Best tortillas for low carb chicken enchilada casserole
Most people do not think of low carb when they think Mexican Food. Since most Mexican food is filled with rice and beans, it normally isn’t however, with this low carb chicken enchilada casserole, you can have a low carb meal that has all of the great Mexican flavors you crave. For this recipe, since it uses tortillas, you will want to low carb tortillas. I have found that the best ones to use are La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber Tortillas.
How to Keep Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Skinny
Since this is a cheesy chicken enchiladas recipe, you might wonder how it will be skinny. Using low fat cheddar cheese lets you have the cheese that you crave without the extra calories and fat. You can also change this to a fat free cheese to save even more or even use a combination of the two. With the cream cheese, I am using reduced fat cream cheese to make this even more creamy.
How to Freeze Casserole Bakes
When you are freezing a casserole you can freeze it in a few ways. You can take the entire dish, cover it well in a layer of plastic, then foil and then plastic again. Cover the entire dish in a freezer bag. The last way is to remove the casserole from the baking dish and store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. If you plan to freeze the chicken enchilada bake before it is baked, I find that it is best to use a disposable container so the casserole dish can go from the freezer to the oven without tying up the dishes.
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Bake
- reduced sodium chicken broth
- skinless chicken breast
- diced green chilis
- white onion
- skim milk
- reduce fat Mexican Cheese blend
- reduced fat cream cheese
- red enchilada sauce
- La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber Tortillas
- tortilla chips
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Bake
Want More Baked Chicken Recipes
- Easy 4-Ingredient BBQ Ranch Baked Chicken
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Roasted Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- Blackened Chicken with Avocado Cream Sauce with Video
Skinny Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 — 4 oz cans diced green chiles
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 4 — 9" La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb High Fiber Tortillas
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 oz tortilla chips crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine broth and can of chiles in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Turning chicken once during the 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid and set 1 cup of cooking liquid aside for later use.
- Let chicken cool.
- Once cooled, shred chicken with two forks and set aside.
- In the same skillet used to cook the chicken (with the 1 cup leftover cooking liquid), heat one can of chilies and onion over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add milk and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
- Add reduced-fat, shredded Mexican cheese blend and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add enchilada sauce and shredded chicken and mix well.
- In 9x13 baking dish, lightly coated with nonstick cooking spay, place 2 tortillas, side by side (slightly overlapping).
- Top with half of your chicken mixture.
- Repeat with other two tortillas and the other half of your chicken mixture. Top the last layer with cheddar cheese and crumbled chips.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bae for an additional 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.