Do you love chicken enchiladas like I do? Would a lightened-up version make your day and your dinner plate? These Lightened-Up Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are lower in calories and taste so good that you will never miss the original!
There are certain dishes I return to month after month for comfort, and chicken enchiladas are always on my list! But when you’re on a low-carb or low-calorie diet, you might feel like you can’t participate in such an indulgence. However, with this Skinny Sour Cream Chicken enchiladas recipe, you can save the calories and still eat them too!
And if you like to plan like me, you can use your slow cooker during meal planning and make a large batch of the shredded chicken for use in several weekly recipes, like my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
How do you make Sour Cream Enchilada sauce?
The sour cream sauce comes together very quickly. Using sour cream, cream of chicken soup with milk, and seasonings, it’s a quick stir together, and then it’s ready to be added to the pan.
Other Recipes Similar to Lightened-Up Sour Cream Enchiladas:
The Best Ground Beef Enchiladas
Cheesy Enchilada Noodle Casserole
Variations to Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas:
When it comes to any recipe, it’s important to be able to adjust it to your personal tastes. There are many ways to alter a recipe, including this one for sour cream chicken enchiladas. When making your own version consider the following:
- Change the soup. My recipe calls for cream of chicken soup. You can change this to cream of mushroom soup, or even cheddar cheese soup if you please.
- Add some heat. This is not written as a spicy recipe, but you can surely bring the heat by adding hot sauce or hot peppers to your liking.
What ingredients are in chicken enchiladas?
- green enchilada sauce
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- sour cream
- Campbell’s Healthy Request condensed cream of chicken soup
- extra virgin olive oil
- Ro*Tel “original” diced tomatoes and green chilies
- green chilies
- ground cumin
- salt and black pepper
- four-cheese Mexican blend
- fresh cilantro
How do you make easy lightened-up sour cream chicken enchiladas?
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a medium skillet, heat the enchilada sauce over medium-high heat. Add the sour cream, chicken soup, and milk. Stir frequently for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the heat. In a separate large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, green chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, and shredded chicken. Continue to stir frequently until the mixture is heated, 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from heat.
To assemble, add a small amount of the prepared enchilada sauce to the bottom of the prepared baking dish to cover. Fill each tortilla with a heaping ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture. Tightly roll each tortilla and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Pour and evenly spread the sour cream sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the four-cheese blend. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro for a pretty and tasty touch.
Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 10-ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded *quick tip, use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and shred
- 3/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 10.5-ounce can Campbell’s® Healthy Request® condensed cream of chicken soup
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 10-ounce can Ro*Tel® "Original" diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 large low-carb high-fiber tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded four-cheese Mexican blend I like Sargento® or you can hand shred a mixture of Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the enchilada sauce over medium-high heat. Add the sour cream, chicken soup, and milk. Stir frequently for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- In a separate large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, green chilies, cumin, salt, pepper, and shredded chicken. Continue to stir frequently until the mixture is heated, 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Pour a small amount of the sour cream enchilada sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- To assemble the enchiladas: fill each tortilla with a heaping ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture. Tightly roll each tortilla and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly spread the remaining sour cream sauce over the enchiladas and cover with the cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the cilantro.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.