My Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe will exceed your expectations! This easy chicken tortilla soup is perfect for a cold day when comfort food is all you really want. It is also good at any time of year because it is simply delicious. Shredded chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, and a rich flavorful broth are the base of this perfect chicken soup!
If you enjoy a good soup, stew, or chili, I know you will also fall in love with my ground turkey chili recipe. Loaded with flavor and low in calories!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love soup any time. With a delicious soup like easy chicken tortilla soup, you can have soup anytime and it takes very little effort. With everything in the slow cooker, you can start this soup in the morning and have dinner ready for you when you come home.
I like to make this when I have leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken, but you can definitely make it with fresh chicken breasts as directed.
Another great shredded chicken recipe is my healthy chicken enchilada bake. Make sure to book it for your future meal plans!
How do I thicken chicken tortilla soup?
Traditionally, chicken tortilla soup has a thin spicy broth. If you wanted to have a thicker soup, you could thicken it in several ways.
- You could add more ingredients that make the broth to ingredients lean more heavily on the ingredients.
- Add a thickening agent like a roux, cornstarch, masa, or different types of flour like potato flour, tapioca flour or arrowroot flour.
- If you do not want to add extra carbs and calories to the soup, you can also let it cook down and thicken the broth naturally.
How do I spice up my tortilla soup?
Changing the spice level on tortilla soup is easy. You can change it by using a stronger taco mix. For less spice use a mild mix, but to kick up the spice level you can use a moderate to hot spice mix.
Another way to add heat to this dish is to add hot peppers. If you have cayenne pepper on hand, you can also throw in a pinch or two depending on how spicy your family likes it. With this method, you have a little more control over how much spice you add. Diced jalapenos are a great addition both on top of and within this soup recipe. A bit more chili powder can also add a bit of heat to the recipe without compromising flavor.
My last tip for adding heat to any soup is to pull out the bottle of hot sauce and add a dash on top!
Variations to a Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
When making a soup, there are many ways to change it to make it something your family will love. When making slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, consider these variations:
- Switch up the spices. Change the spice level to create a different taste. You can even add extra lime juice to brighten the soup, or roasted garlic and onions for a deeper flavor.
- Use rotisserie chicken. Buy a chicken pre-cooked like a rotisserie chicken. The chicken can be shredded before it is added to the soup.
- Add a topping. You can add shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream or even a bit of salsa or hot sauce.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- black beans
- Frozen corn kernels
- tomato sauce
- Ro*Tel mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
- green chilies
- taco seasoning
- low-sodium chicken broth
- tortilla strips
How to Make Baked Tortilla Strips
Using kitchen scissors, cut tortillas into strips.
Once you have cut all your tortillas into strips, place on a lightly greased baking sheet. This will ensure that the tortilla will not stick to your pan.
Bake the tortilla strips for 5-8 minutes. Depending on how hot your oven gets, you’ll want to watch them the first few times until you know exactly how many minutes it takes to bake tortilla strips without burning. Gas and electric ovens heat so much differently, only you will know how long!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add the onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours. Remove the chicken and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons of tortilla strips.
The Best Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 10-ounce cans Ro*Tel mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 1-ounce packet less-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup lightly salted tortilla strips
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Add the onion, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons of tortilla strips.