Recipes Similar to this Breakfast Casserole:
Is this recipe for Overnight Breakfast Enchilada Healthy?
Per serving, this casserole has a lot of health benefits. It is low in sugar, low fat, and low calorie. I especially like that that each enchilada has 10 grams of fiber per serving and only 25 grams of carbohydrates. The portion size is filling and with 16 grams of protein per enchilada, each serving will keep you feeling full until lunch time. For more more high-protein recipes, try my Chocolate Protein Waffles!
Ingredients in Overnight Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red bell pepper,
- Cooked turkey sausage links
- Diced green chilis
- Reduced sodium black beans
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Skim milk
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Sargento® 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese
How to Make this Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 6 fully cooked turkey sausage links sliced or diced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 15 ounce can reduced sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- 10 8 inch whole wheat tortillas I used La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Original Size
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese if not available, any Mexican blend cheese will work
- Grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil, red bell pepper, and onion.Cook for 4-6 minutes, until they begin to get soft.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the sausage, diced green chilis and black beans, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Fill each tortilla with ⅓ cup of the filling and roll each tortilla, placing them seam side down in the prepared dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the enchiladas and tightly cover the casserole dish with foil.Store in the refrigerator for several hours, to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F and bake covered for 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are mostly set.
- Uncover and evenly sprinkle the Sargento® 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese overall the enchiladas,and bake an additional 5 minutesor until the cheese is melted.