This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Looking for the perfect make ahead breakfast casserole? This is the recipe you have been wanting. This turkey sausage casserole is great for cooking one day and using it for breakfast for a few days.
Pair this breakfast casserole with Delicious Blueberry Smoothie Packed with Protein for a complete breakfast that is sure to keep you fueled.
Turkey Sausage Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Can I Use Bacon Instead of Sausage in this Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole?
You can use bacon instead of sausage in this recipe. If you are using bacon, you might want to consider turkey bacon for a lighter version than regular bacon. If you are craving the taste of real bacon, use center cut which is less fatty than traditional cut bacon and has all the same flavor.
Can I Freeze This Casserole?
If you make this casserole and want to be able to stretch it out over more than the next few days, a great option is to freeze the casserole. Cut the casserole into individual portions. Wrap each portion well with plastic wrap and then add it into a freezer bag. This protects the casserole slices so you can take one out at a time when you want it for breakfast.
- Ciabatta bread
- Lean turkey breakfast sausage
- Green onions
- Skim milk
- Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Egg substitute
- Fresh parsley
How to Make a Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
Start with a preheated 400 degree oven.
Add the bread cubes in a single layer to the bottom of a baking sheet. Bake until toasted, about 8 minutes.
While the bread crumbs are being baked, heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sausage and cook for about 6 or 7 minutes. The turkey will be browned. Be sure to stir the sausage so that it is crumbled.
In another bowl combine the milk, cheese, eggs, and egg substitute together with a whisk.
Add the egg mixture to the bread mixture and toss together to combine and coat the bread.
Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with baking spray and spoon the mixture into the dish.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
After the casserole sits overnight, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake covered, for 50 minutes until it is set and lightly browned. Halfway through the cooking time, remove the foil.
Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 8 oz ciabatta bread cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb lean turkey breakfast sausage
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1¼ cup skim milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 8 oz carton egg substitute
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, or until toasted.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add turkey sausage and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until browned, making sure to stir to crumble.
- Combine cooked sausage, bread cubes, and onion in a medium size bowl.
- Combine milk, cheese, eggs, and egg substitute in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add milk mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to coat bread.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish covered with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- After it sits overnight, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Keeping dish covered with foil, bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes until set and lightly browned. Uncover halfway through cooking time. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.