You will fall in love with this beef stuffed Mexican Squash Recipe! A Southwest and Mexican blend of spices makes this a true crossover recipe that is not only delicious but healthy! A spiced Mexican beef filling is topped with yummy taco-style toppings for a perfect all in one dish that is kid-friendly and mom-approved.
Healthy Mexican Stuffed Squash Recipe
This Mexican squash recipe is going to become a favorite meal for Taco Tuesday! While this isn’t exactly a traditional taco recipe, the flavors of the seasoned beef and fun toppings make this a great alternative on taco night.
I love that this recipe has enough flavor and favorite fillings that even the picky kids in the house ask for seconds. Tender acorn squash makes a superb carrier for a taco filling.
Can I Make This Vegetarian?
I love the idea of making this a vegetarian recipe. You could easily substitute the ground beef with vegan meat crumble from the freezer section. Another great idea for making this vegetarian would be to saute some veggies like bell pepper, mushroom, onion, and tomato to go alongside refried beans in the Mexican stuffed squash.
What Toppings Should I Add to the Mexican Stuffed Squash?
My fresh salsa recipe is a perfect topping to this taco meat stuffed squash. The real star though has to be my healthy queso dip recipe. You are going to love the creamy and spicy flavor of this dip! Below are a few more great additions to your stuffed squash.
- Sour Cream or Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- Pico de Gallo
- Diced Tomato
- Shredded Lettuce
- Black Bean and Corn Dip
- Green Onions
- Acorn Squash
- Ground Beef
- Black Beans
- Bell Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Black Pepper
Optional: Toppings from the list above
How to Make a Mexican Stuffed Squash
Preheat the oven and prepare a deep-sided baking dish for your squash. You will wash the squash, dry, and cut them in half. Scoop out the seeds, and discard them. You will have 4 halves on in your baking dish at this point.
In a large bowl, mix together your ground beef, onion, beans, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Divide the ground beef mixture into 4 equal portions, and stuff one portion into the middle of each acorn squash half.
Pour one cup of water into the baking dish around the acorn squash. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for one hour.
Check the meat mixture to make sure it has reached 170ºF for safety before serving.
Top with preferred taco toppings.
Beef Mexican Stuffed Squash Recipe
- Baking dish
- Two 1 pound acorn squash
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¾ cup reduced sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Sargento® Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese
- fresh diced tomato
- reduced-fat sour cream
- tomato salsa
- fresh cilantro chopped
- green onion chopped
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Halve the squash lengthwise. Scoop out and discard seeds (or save seeds and roast them).
- In a large bowl, add beef, onion, black beans, bell pepper, and spices. Using clean hands, gently but thoroughly combine ingredients.
- Pack ¼ of the beef mixture (about ½ cup) into each squash half center. Place squash into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Add 1-inch of water, cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until squash is tender and the center of the squash registers 160º F.
- Top with your favorite (optional) garnishes and dig in!