Do you have picky eaters that typically skip their green veggies at dinner? Well, me too. My kids can be picky when it comes to vegetables. To solve this problem, I came up with this easy Baked Broccoli Tots recipe and it’s the perfect way to serve broccoli as a side dish that your entire family will love!
These broccoli tots resemble a favorite at my house—tater tots—and you can feel good about serving this recipe often as it’s a healthier take on the fried potato snack. These broccoli tots are baked instead of fried and packed with fiber. They make a great side dish for chicken strips or fish sticks.
Tip for Making Broccoli Tots?
- Instead of dirtying a separate bowl to beat the egg, beat the egg in the large mixing bowl first, then add the rest of the ingredients to it.
- If you’d rather use frozen broccoli to save time cutting it up, that’s an easy swap! Just cook it according to package directions and continue with my recipe. I used fresh broccoli because it’s typically cheaper—and picking out your own produce is never a bad thing.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Tots?
Yes! If you happen to have a little extra time or ingredients on hand, double the recipe below by adjusting the recipe. Once you have made the mixture, shape your tater tots. You can then either place on a baking sheet and freeze the broccoli tots or go ahead and bake the broccoli tater tots and once they are done cooling, place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until they have frozen. At that time, you can place into a freezer container!
Can you microwave tots?
Yes! To heat up a veggie, broccoli or tater tot after it has been baked in the oven, you can re-heat in the microwave. However, if you are cooking a frozen tot in the microwave, it will not have that crispiness that you are use to. Instead, the moisture will leave the tot soggy. So be sure to bake in a oven to get that crunchy texture.
Are Veggie Tots Healthy?
Veggie Tots are a much healthier option than those little carb loaded tots. Around 125 calories per serving and baked, these tots come in close to 150 calories less than the potato tater tots!
Ingredients for Broccoli Tater Tots
- parmesan cheese
- panko bread crumbs
- green onion
- garlic powder
- black pepper
How To Make Tater Tots with Broccoli
Healthy Baked Broccoli Tots
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets about 1 head
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup green onions thinly sliced (about 4)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a boil and carefully drop the florets in the water. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until fork tender. Drain and run cold water over the florets to quickly cool them down.
- Spread the florets out on a plate lined with several paper towels to dry.
- When the broccoli is mostly dried, coarsely chop it up small.
- In a large mixing add the chopped broccoli, beaten egg, cheese, panko, green onions, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Stir the ingredients together and then shape tater tot-shaped mounds using about 1½ tablespoons of the broccoli mixture.
- Bake on the prepared baking sheet for 16-18 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking time to ensure even browning.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or plain.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.