If you want to make Cosmic Brownies from home, you have to save this recipe. Not only is this the best easy homemade brownies, but you can also enjoy a brownie without feeling guilty because these are a healthier copycat.
Want more copycat recipes? Copycat Chipotle® Barbacoa Recipe is a great healthier dinner idea to go with these healthier brownies.
This copycat recipe for Cosmic Brownies is a decadent, rich, fudgy and chewy brownie just like the Little Debbie Brownies you buy at the store with almost half the calories!
Healthier Cosmic Brownies Recipe
How many times have your kids begged you to pick up Cosmic Brownies at the store? No longer do you have to balk at the decision because I’ve got a healthier copycat recipe you can make at home! You’ll choose these sweet, skinny treats every time over the real Cosmic Brownies. At only 142 calories (compared to 273) and 11 grams of sugar (compared to 23.5), these brownies are out of this world!
Where do I buy the candy coated chocolate chips?
For me, I always turn to Amazon! I’ve also seen them at Michael’s and they seem to be hit or miss at our local grocery stores in Cincinnati.
How to store a Fudge Brownie Recipe with Chocolate Icing
When you are making these fudge brownies, you want to make sure that the brownies are covered well. If not it will get stale fast. There are 2 options for making sure the brownies are wrapped well. You can store these brownies in an airtight container. Make sure the lid fits well. You will want to keep the brownies in a single layer so that the frosting does not stick to the brownie on top.
Another option is to wrap the brownies in plastic wrap. You want to wrap the brownies well but you do not want to let the plastic wrap stick to the icing. I like to put toothpicks into the brownies to prevent the plastic from sticking to the brownies.
What are cosmic brownies?
Chances are you have seen the Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies at your local grocery store. They are per-packaged and often at the end of the aisle with all the other Little Debbie snacks. Cosmic brownies are super chewy with a rich fudgy icing and topped with rainbow colored chocolate covered candies. The store bought versions come individually wrapped and are super sweet, don’t contain any artificial ingredients or coloring. Personally, we love our recipe better!
Can I Freeze this Easy Homemade Brownies Recipe?
When you make this easy homemade brownies recipe, you might want to make extra so you have always have them on hand. You can make an extra batch, or take half of the batch you just made and store them in the freezer. If you want to freeze these brownies, you need to freeze them on a cookie sheet or plate before freezing the brownies with plastic. By freezing the brownies first, the icing hardens and will not stock. Then once they are frozen, move them to a freezer bag and separate the layers with parchment paper or wax paper. When you are ready to thaw them, remove the plastic wrap first.
Ingredients for Fudge Brownie Recipe
- unsweetened applesauce
- canola oil
- skim milk
- whole-wheat white flour
- cocoa powder
- dark chocolate chips
- unsweetened almond milk
How to Make Copycat Cosmic Brownies
Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9*9 pan with cooking spray. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, oil, milk and vanilla.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, until completely moistened and combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared dish and spread it evenly. The batter will be very thick and fudgy at this point. Make the top as smooth as possible with the rubber spatula.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once it has cooled, cut into 12 even squares.
Next, make the ganache. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the almond milk for 15 seconds, or until hot.
Add the chocolate chips and stir together until melted and smooth. Allow to rest and thicken for about 5 minutes.
Pour it over top of the cooled brownies.
Add the candy coated chocolate over the top.
Try a few of our other brownie recipes:
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Candy-coated chocolate chips
For the Ganache:
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, and spray a small square (9x9-inch) or rectangular (7x11-inch) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, applesauce, oil, milk and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, until completely moistened and combined.
- Evenly spread the brownie batter in the prepared dish. The batter will be very thick and fudgy at this point. Make the top as smooth as possible with the rubber spatula.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When cooled, cut into 12 even squares.
- To make the ganache: In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the almondmilk for 15 seconds, or until hot.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir together until melted and smooth. Allow to rest and thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Evenly pour over the cooled brownies.
- Top with candy-coated chocolate chips.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.