Seeing eggnog at the grocery store means the holiday season is here! That’s when I make my Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes for my friends and family. These homemade cupcakes begin with some boxed cake mix and nonfat Greek yogurt. Next, I add water, egg whites, and nutmeg. The batter is as easy as that! Bake until a toothpick comes out clean and allow to cool before frosting with a cool whip topping! These Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes will make your holiday party sparkle!
Recipes Similar to Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes:
What Makes These Cupcakes Healthy?
I enjoy using store-bought cake mix because I can add my own ingredients to lighten up the batter. Instead of oil or fat, I use nonfat Greek yogurt in these cupcakes. I also separate my eggs and only use the egg whites, which cuts down on fat and cholesterol. I use water to thin out the batter, but you can use skim milk if you’d like that flavor. Keep in mind that any changes to the recipe will change the nutritional counts at the end of the recipe.
Healthy desserts are totally attainable, even during the holidays! Want more healthy homemade desserts? Try my Candy Cane Christmas Cake Pops!
Ingredients in Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes
- yellow cake mix
- fat-free Greek yogurt
- egg whites
- ground nutmeg
- baking spray
- Cool Whip Light topping
- rum extract
- nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
How to Make Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a two cupcake baking pans with non-stick spray or use paper liners.
Combine all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat until combined.
Pour into cupcake tins and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool
For the frosting: Combine the rum extract with Cool Whip Light. Frost (about a tablespoon each) and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Store in the refrigerator until served.
Lightened-Up Eggnog Cupcakes
- 1 16.5-ounce package yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 8-ounce container light whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line two 12-count muffin tins with paper liners
- In a stand mixer (or in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer) beat all of the cupcake ingredients until smooth
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until done
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the topping: In a large mixing bowl stir together the whipped topping and rum extract
- When the cupcakes have completely cooled, spread the topping on each and sprinkle the ground nutmeg on each to garnish