Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes is a great recipe to serve at your Holiday dinner or next family get-together. I’ve provided two delicious options to make this recipe. One option is to use butter for extra flavor or if you are on a special diet or want to make this recipe healthier, you can use Greek yogurt in place of butter as a creamy base with less fat and calories but all of the traditional flavors.
This recipe pairs perfectly with my Spiral Slow Cooker Ham recipe! Pair with your favorite steamed or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes made with sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, marshmallows, and pecans are sweet, creamy, and the perfect side dish for your holiday table! It’s also a fun and visually appealing alternative to a sweet potato casserole since the contents will be served back in the potato skin in individual portions.
My family loves potato recipes over here, especially when it comes to sweet potatoes, enjoy some of my other sweet potato recipes like Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato Pie, and Decadent Sweet Potato Casserole.
Best way to make sweet potatoes ahead of time
I always love to meal prep when I am able. Having things ready ahead of time is a must when you are busy – and I am always busy! Making these sweet potatoes ahead of time is so easy!
I love popping washed sweet potatoes into my slow cooker to make Crockpot sweet potatoes. This lets me make several baked sweet potatoes without heating up my kitchen, and even while I am away from home. Then I can let them cool completely, toss them into an airtight container or a plastic bag, and put them into the refrigerator until I am ready to make my twice-baked sweet potatoes.
How do you keep twice-baked potatoes from falling apart?
Why do your twice-baked potato skins fall apart? You have scooped out too much of the potato! There’s nothing to hold the paper-thin skins together. To solve this problem and make the perfect twice-baked potato, simply leave 1/4″ of the flesh and this will help to hold the potato shape.
Ingredients for twice-baked sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Butter or Greek yogurt
- Brown sugar
How to make twice baked sweet potatoes
For this recipe, you will bake the sweet potatoes first and then set them aside to cool. Once they cool, you will use a spoon to scoop out the centers into a large bowl.
You will combine the sweet potato flesh with your butter or Greek yogurt, spices, and sugar until well mixed and smooth. A hand mixer makes this super easy.
Once your filling is ready, you will spread it inside the sweet potato shells, and then sprinkle the top with pecans and marshmallows before baking.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Baking sheet
- Hand Mixer
- 8-12 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup softened butter or substitute with nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or sweetener of choice if substituting
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp pecans chopped
- 64 mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them on a paper towel, then poke several holes in them with a fork, and brush the olive oil on the outsides of each sweet potato.
- Wrap each sweet potato in foil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until fork-tender, 40-60 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F after taking the potatoes out of the oven.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the centers into a large mixing bowl. Leave about 1/4 inch of the flesh to prevent the potato skins from falling apart.
- Add the softened butter or (Greek yogurt if substituting), brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the mixing bowl with the scooped-out potato flesh centers. Mix in a stand mixer (or handheld mixer) until smooth and creamy.
- Evenly spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, and top with chopped pecans and 8 mini marshmallows.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasted and melting.
Calories from fat: 22
Saturated Fat: 1g
WW SmartPoints: 4