Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are a great way to make your favorite sweet potato casserole healthier and easier to serve. I revamped this recipe to make it healthier by using Greek yogurt as a creamy base with less sugar but all of the traditional flavors.
This recipe pairs perfectly with my honey mustard pretzel baked chicken strips recipe! Pair with your favorite steamed or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of natures greatest gifts! Full of antioxidants, natural sweetness, and fiber, they are a favorite for any healthy diet. I love how versatile they are, but of course, I always go back to the classic flavors. Sweet potato casserole is a favorite comfort food dish. Around the holidays, it is a must on the menu. Being able to make a better for me option was a must!
If you are looking for more lightened up holiday side dishes, you have to make my crispy Brussels sprouts and cranberry apple coleslaw. Both are so delicious and great sides to go with your traditional turkey or ham. Of course, I am also pretty crazy about my country style best green bean recipe!
Best way to make sweet potatoes ahead of time
I always love to meal prep when I am able. Having things ready ahead of time is a must when you are busy – and I am always busy! Making these sweet potatoes ahead of time is so easy!
I love popping washed sweet potatoes into my slow cooker to make Crockpot sweet potatoes. This lets me make several baked sweet potatoes without heating up my kitchen, and even while I am away from home. Then I can let them cool completely, toss them into an airtight container or a plastic bag and put into the refrigerator until I am ready to make my twice-baked sweet potatoes.
Can they be made vegan?
One question I get all the time is about if my recipes can be adjusted to become vegan. I love that this is one recipe that is easy to adjust and make vegan. All you have to do is substitute the Greek yogurt for soft tofu or plain soy yogurt and use Dandies vegan marshmallows to top them with instead of regular mini marshmallows. It’s just that easy!
Ingredients for double baked sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Greek yogurt
- Brown sugar
How to make twice baked sweet potatoes
For this recipe, you will bake the sweet potatoes first and then set them aside to cool. Once they cool, you will use a spoon to scoop out the centers into a large bowl.
You will combine the sweet potato flesh with your spices and sugar until well mixed and smooth. A hand mixer makes this super easy.
Once your filling is ready, you will spread it inside the sweet potato shells, and then sprinkle the top with pecans and marshmallows before baking.
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Baking sheet
- Hand Mixer
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt nonfat plain
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp pecans chopped
- 64 mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them on a paper towel, then poke several holes in them with a fork, and brush the oil on the outsides of them.
- Wrap each potato in foil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until fork-tender, 40-60 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F after taking the potatoes out of the oven.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the centers into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the mixing bowl with the scooped-out potato centers. Mix in a stand mixer (or handheld mixer) until smooth.
- Evenly spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, and top with chopped pecans and 8 mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasted and melting.