This quick and easy for my Classic Macaroni Salad is perfect for your next picnic, get-together, or holiday gathering! I’ve also shared simple substitutions to lighten up the recipe without sacrificing flavor and taste. The dressing for this recipe is a tangy, creamy sauce made with a traditional mayo and sour cream base. For extra flavor, I add red bell peppers, celery, onion, and pickle relish. This Macaroni Salad Classic Light Recipe is so good and you’ll find it to be a great go-to recipe.
Recipes Similar to Macaroni Salad Classic Light Recipe:
Mexican Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Family-Friendly Healthy Mac and Cheese
What Healthier Ingredients Make This Salad?
To make this recipe healthier, I like to use whole wheat pasta or high protein pasta. Whole wheat pasta has a few more servings of whole grains in comparison to traditional pasta and high protein pasta is made with extra protein for each serving. To make a lighter dressing, I substitute with nonfat Greek yogurt, light mayo, and light sour cream. This will save on fat and calories per serving. In addition, adding crunchy fresh veggies packs in more fiber and protein to the recipe.
Bring this salad to a picnic, cookout, or just make a big bowl for lunch. For more picnic recipes, try my Chickpea Pearl Couscous Salad with Vegetables!
Ingredients in Macaroni Salad Classic Light Recipe
- elbow macaroni pasta or (whole-wheat elbow macaroni)
- mayonnaise or (light mayonnaise)
- sour cream or (light sour cream)
- plain Greek yogurt or (nonfat Greek yogurt)
- white vinegar
- sweet pickle relish
- yellow mustard
- green onions
- red bell pepper
- black pepper
How to Make Macaroni Salad Classic Light Recipe
Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing. In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, relish, and mustard.
Drain the cooked noodles and run them under cold water to quickly cool them down. Add the noodles to the dressing bowl.
Stir in the celery, green onions, and red pepper, and season with the salt and pepper.
Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Macaroni Salad Classic Light Recipe
- 1 13.25 ounce box elbow macaroni, or (whole wheat elbow macaroni dry
- 1/2 cup plain, Greek yogurt or nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise or light Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream or light Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sweet Pickle Relish
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 ribs Celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the dressing. In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, relish, and mustard.
- Drain the cooked noodles and run them under cold water to quickly cool them down. Add the noodles to the dressing bowl.
- Stir in the celery, green onions, and red pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Calories from fat: 39
Saturated Fat: 1g
Protein: 9g SmartPoints: 6
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.