Are you looking for a soft gingerbread cookie recipe? These delicious holiday cookies are perfect for the winter season. Make a batch to eat and a batch to share. These cookies are so good, you won’t want to share.
Looking for another holiday treat idea? You are going to love this Lightened Up Easy Eggnog with all the traditional creaminess of eggnog minus the fat and calories.
Chewy Soft Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Want to try a skinny take on a classic holiday recipe? You must try these Skinny Soft Gingerbread Cookies. They’re an easier way to get to a delicious gingerbread cookie without having to roll and cut them out with a cookie cutter, and they’re soft and chewy. They’re perfectly portioned for bite-sized Christmas cheer to warm up your holiday party.
How do I make ginger cookies soft?
When making soft gingerbread cookies, the trick is to make sure to beat the butter and sugar together well. It is important that you beat it well until it starts to turn whitish and looks fluffy. This is what creates the softness in cookies.
Can I freeze this easy gingerbread cookies dough?
Don’t go to the store and buy premade cookie dough. When you make this easy gingerbread cookie recipe, you can make a double batch. I like to freeze the second batch. There are 2 ways you can freeze the cookie dough. You can freeze the entire batch whole or you can scoop the cookies before freezing. Scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet and put it in the freezer. Once the cookies are frozen, move the cookies to a freezer bag. This is like having the premade store-bought cookie dough but it is fresh homemade cookies that have all the amazing flavors you want in a cookie. When you are ready to make the cookies, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw. Then you are ready to bake.
Ingredients for the best gingerbread cookie
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- unsweetened applesauce
- whole-wheat white flour
- baking soda
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
How to make gingerbread cookie recipe
In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar. Mix it together on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Next. beat in the eggs and then the molasses and apple sauce.
In a separate bowl, blend together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture in three batches. Make sure it is blended well before adding the next set.
Refrigerate the dough for about 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with either a baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop the cookies onto the pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Soft Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter ½ stick, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole-wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until fluffy
- Beat in the egg until incorporated, then beat in the molasses and applesauce until mixed well
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the rest of the dry ingredients. Add it to the sugar and molasses mixture in 3 batches, mixing well between each addition
- Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Roll the dough into balls about 1½ tablespoons wide, or use a small cookie scoop
- Place 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes