Are you looking for a soft gingerbread cookie recipe? These delicious holiday cookies are perfect for the winter season. Make a batch to eat and a batch to share. These cookies are one of my favorite holiday recipes!
Looking for another holiday treat idea? You will love this Lightened Up Easy Eggnog with all the traditional creaminess of eggnog minus the fat and calories. These Soft Gingerbread Cookies are my take on a classic holiday recipe. They’re an easier way to get to a delicious gingerbread cookie without having to roll and cut them out with a cookie cutter, and they’re soft and chewy with the perfect combination of sweetness and spice. They’re also perfectly portioned for bite-sized Christmas cheer to warm up your holiday party.
How do I make ginger cookies soft?
When making soft gingerbread cookies, the trick is to beat the butter and sugar together well. This is what creates the softness in cookies.
Can I freeze this easy gingerbread cookie dough?
Don’t go to the store and buy premade cookie dough. When you make this easy gingerbread cookie recipe, you can make a double batch. I like to freeze the second batch. There are two ways you can freeze the cookie dough. You can freeze the entire batch whole, or you can scoop the cookies before freezing. Scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet and put them in the freezer. Once the cookies are frozen, move the cookies to a freezer bag. This is like having the premade store-bought cookie dough, but fresh homemade cookies have all the fantastic flavors you want in a cookie. When ready to make the cookies, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw. Then you are ready to bake.
Ingredients for the best gingerbread cookie
- Brown sugar
- molasses or maple syrup
- oil or “Skinny Swap” with unsweetened applesauce
- white flour
- baking soda
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
How to make a gingerbread cookie recipe
In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar. Mix it on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Next. beat in the eggs and then the molasses and apple sauce.
In a separate bowl, blend the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture in three batches. Make sure it is blended well before adding the next set.
Refrigerate the dough for about 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop the cookies onto the pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Soft Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter ½ stick, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses or maple syrup
- ½ cup oil or "Skinny Swap" with unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until fluffy
- Beat in the egg until incorporated, then beat in the molasses and oil (or applesauce if substituting) until mixed well
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the rest of the dry ingredients. Add it to the sugar and molasses mixture in 3 batches, mixing well between each addition.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. You can refrigerate cookie dough if you are not baking immediately.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1½ tablespoons wide, or use a small cookie scoop
- Place 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.