Are you ever craving pasta but still want to keep your diet on track? Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole was made for you! I use my favorite store-bought red sauce and put my own twist on it by adding tons of additional vegetables and flavors. Kids won’t even know they are eating tons of veggies, they will just know their dinner is delicious. Sneaking veggies into sauce is a great way to ensure your kids are getting all their servings of vegetables. I also use whole wheat pasta, which is healthier and more filling than traditional pasta. Make Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole for your next dinner!
Recipes Similar to Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole:
How Many Veggies are in this Casserole?
If I am making a dish such as pasta, I like to add a ton of healthy ingredients to add nutritional benefits. I have added onion, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots and garlic to the seasoned tomato sauce. Onions and zucchini are low in calories but high in nutrients, such as amino acids and antioxidants. Mushrooms contain protein and fiber and make an excellent meat substitute. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which helps maintain eye health. Garlic is an anti-inflammatory and can assist in combating illness. That’s a healthy sauce!
There are so many veggies added to this casserole, lending to a myriad of health benefits for you and your family. Add as many vegetables as you like to any dish to boost your health! If you like more veggie-heavy recipes, try my Simple Cabbage Soup.
Ingredients in Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole
- Prego Light Smart Traditional Pasta Sauce
- whole grain rotini pasta
- white mushrooms
- Splenda (or your favorite sweetener)
- extra virgin olive oil
- reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
How to Make Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole
Start with preheating the oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside. In a large skillet, add extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini. Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender. In a large stock pan, boil water and add pasta. Cook pasta until cooked through. Drain and set aside. Add spaghetti sauce to the skillet and stir to mix the sauce with vegetables. Add sweetener to sauce and cover skillet with a lid. Cook sauce over medium heat for 10 minutes. After the sauce has heated through, mix the sauce with pasta. Pour pasta and sauce into a casserole dish. Top with Parmesan cheese. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and serve immediately.
Veggie Pasta Noodles Casserole
- 1 jar Prego Light Smart Traditional Pasta Sauce
- 1 16 oz box whole grain rotini pasta
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Splenda, or your favorite sweetener
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- In a large stock pan, boil water and add pasta. Cook pasta until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and stir to mix sauce with vegetables.
- Add sweetener to sauce and cover skillet with lid. Cook sauce over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After sauce has heated through, mix sauce with pasta.
- Pour pasta and sauce into casserole dish.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and serve immediately.