If you are looking for the BEST BBQ chicken sandwich, you have found it. This recipe is healthy, delicious and tastes amazing. The spicy avocado sauce gives this sandwich a special twist that you are going to love.
Need a side dish? Try these Zucchini Chips. The perfect replacement for unhealthy potato chips.
BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Avocado Sauce
What Can I Serve with Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches?
There are a lot of side dishes that go great with Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches. Here are just a few ideas that I think you are going to love with this sandwich.
- Rosemary Garlic Potato and Parsnip Mash
- Honey Candied Carrots Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Cream Corn Recipe
- Cranberry Apple Coleslaw Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Low-sugar BBQ sauce
- Whole wheat buns
For the Spicy Jalapeño Avocado Spread
- Chili powder
- Thin-sliced provolone cheese
How to Make a BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Avocado Sauce
Place the chicken in a large pot and fill it with water or chicken stock. Bring it to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, reduce the heat cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Using tongs, remove the chicken and set it aside on a plate. When it has cooled enough to touch, shred the chicken.
In a bowl, combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce. Coat the chicken evenly.
Then make the spicy Jalapeno Avocado Spread.
Combine the ingredients together in a food processor and blend it smooth.
Make the sandwiches by placing a heaping 1/2 cup on each bottom bun. Spread the Avocado spread evenly over the top bun and then put the top on the sandwich.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Spicy Avocado Spread
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup low-sugar BBQ sauce
- 4 whole wheat buns
- For the Spicy Jalapeño Avocado Spread:
- 1 avocado pitted
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and diced (keep the seeds for more heat)
- juice of ½ a lime about 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- thin-sliced provolone cheese
- Place the chicken in a pot large enough to hold it all, and fill the pot with enough water (or chicken stock) to cover the chicken by about 1-2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reads 165 ℉.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and reserve on a plate. When it is cool enough to touch, shred it and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce together, tossing with tongs to evenly coat.
- To prepare the Spicy Jalapeño Avocado Spread: combine all of the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To assemble the sandwiches: place about a heaping ½ cup on each bottom bun and evenly spread the Jalapeño Avocado Spread on each top bun, then sandwich together.